Friday, November 30, 2018

THANKS BE - BLESS BE


I never hear a rainbow brag, or see an ocean sunset care who got the credit.

No political position, law, or moral principle ever made aptly defines our relationship with life itself. The amazing touches of clarity, meaning and purpose we sometime have all come from an unearned grace. 

Only grace and love are big enough to hold our human condition. Nothing of final importance is ever earned or achieved. It is life’s favor that we have received.

The flaws of feeling and the inaccuracy of intellect leave us defenseless against true meaning. We can have our moments of light, awe and direction only because grace and love left the door to understanding open for us.

I do not pretend to fully know the reality we live each day or the people and places in it. I can’t comprehend what is on the other side of forever, or the significance of chance in an endless universe. Grace and love are all I can begin to grasp, and because of them I am surrounded by art and music, dance and literature. I lam lifted by unknown forces, protected by unseen hands, and made forever real by my split second of existence.

That is why it is no small thing that I am thankful for my family and friends on this Thanksgiving. I am thankful for undeserved love and grace that holds me up despite my imperfect human condition. I am thankful for the migration of mystery across the fall sky and the delicate dance of surrender that marks all living. 

I am Thankful for you.

We are the rainbows and the sunsets. We are the manifestation of an unearned and freely given moment of meaning. We are the dancers, the dreamers, the artist in the mountains and writers standing at the wall. We are the holder of hands and the keepers of heart. We are forgiven by the mere fact that we exist.

I am so thankful that in my time of being I am blessed ty the presence of love and grace.

No comments: